Monday 18 July 2011

The male obsession with the gym...

There are several things that an individual can become obsessed with.  Individuals can develop an obsessive fear of gaining weight and a refusal to maintain a healthy body weight as seen with anorexia nervosa.  Others can become obsessed with sex, leading to hypersexuality, where sexual urges, behaviours or thoughts can appear extreme in frequency or feel out of one's control.  Then of course there is obsessive-compulsive disorder, the aniexty disorder characterised by uncontrollable, unwanted thoughts and repetitive, ritualised behaviours you feel compelled to perform.  All three of these are established and recognised conditions affecting millions of people.  The obsession I will be discussing however is not...

The male obsession with the gym...

It's something I only really noticed probably whilst at University.  I would see several guys strutting around the gym in tracksuit bottoms and a vest thinking they were the absolute nuts because they could bench press a certain weight.  I'd see guys looking at themselves in the mirror and flexing to themselves or pulling up their tops to study their abs.  I'd hear guys talking about how many calories they should be eating, spending fortunes on protein shakes, recovery shakes, pre-workout shakes, post-workout shakes, day off shakes, there seems to be a shake for just about every occasion.  

Some of these people are friends of mine but regardless I'd still think to myself, 'What the fuck are you doing all that for?! Are you a professional athlete? Ummm NO! So get back to reality".  Don't get me wrong, I like to try and stay fit and be in good shape and am the first to champion the benefits of exercise, but I try to do this in moderation.  I am a member of a gym and ideally I'd go around 3 times a week, but I much prefer my exercise to come from actually playing sport!

As with most 'body' related obsessions the usual explanations are relevant - guys watch music videos, TV shows, and men's magazines showing the modern male as a tall, tanned and muscly.  In reality this is far from the case; if you were to stop a random male on the street he's more likely to have a beer belly than a chiseled six-pack.  I do believe that this is where obsessions with the gym begin, but only with certain individuals, individuals with a DEEP ROOTED INSECURITY.  

Certain guys, often short or unattractive, but not always, become addicted to the idea of 'beefing' up, and are not satisfied until their biceps are bulging out of their sleeves and the chest pushes their nipples through their t-shirts!  I think it's sad that these individuals feel it necessary to put themselves through all of this because of some twisted ideology which equates muscle bulk with attractiveness.

I'm not saying for a second that everyone who trains at the gym regularly is an obsessive maniac because that's obviously not the case.  I also can see the benefits of this confused theory.  If it does indeed make these individuals feel good about themselves then I guess that must be a good thing.  But do not claim to me that you are going for health reasons or because it helps your football performance in your Sunday league - it is because you are insecure and because getting big at the gym requires no talent whatsoever, determination and perseverance yes, but talent, NO. 

What do you think?

Please subscribe/follow my blog if you think I'm worth listening to...

6 comments:

  1. I agree bro, mostly cause I WAS that person. I play a lot of sport and have a lot of friends and actually a lot of girls. But I'm short and was insecure and then I got obsessed with the gym. What I'd like to ask though, is how I can get back into the gym without becoming a faggot for it lol?

    ReplyDelete
  2. We do it cos it keeps us strong and young.I have never done weights to impress anyone,feeling strong,and having a clear mind and strong bones in old age is a great incentive.......nice to know i could rip a whimp like yous head off as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Probably best you go away and learn how to speak English properly first...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Guys who are obsessed with bulking up for vanity are douchebags who will never achieve anything real and nobody really likes them either and No its not Jealosy it is pity, pity that they feel the need to care about other peoples perception of them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Man this is a mint blog. I'm writing one quite similar for a school assessment and I've found some really good inspiration and information here. Cheers mate.

    ReplyDelete
  6. There's nothing wrong with going to the gym to feel better about yourself, but I agree, I think it's dangerous for some people with deep rooted insecurity to over commit as they have more psychological problems that they also need to address. I've seen it happen.

    ReplyDelete