Thursday 17 November 2011

Hovis. The Best Of Both.


This is the first time I have blogged about a topic on request, but it is a topic that is of genuine interest to me and one which raises several questions.

What is life like being mixed race?  It’s great, I love it, and I wouldn’t change it for the world.  But, wouldn’t a white, black, brown, yellow or green person say exactly the same thing?  Surely not many people wish they were a different race?  In my experience people tend to accept who they are and the attributes they have been brought into the world with.  You can be jealous of individuals sure, but not of an entire race right?  People are who they are.

My background.  My dad’s family are Dominican and my mum’s Italian.  Unfortunately I haven’t yet had the pleasure of visiting Dominica, but I have been to Italy countless times and love the place.  I live with my mum and spend a considerably greater amount of time with her than I do with my dad.  Yet if someone was to ask me to describe myself as either black or white I would most likely say black.  To me that seems strange.  Why black?  Why not white?  I guess it’s simply because of the colour of my skin and how much that influences everything society.  To society I am black because my skin is brown.  Simple as.

There is a strange deep-rooted view in society that a white face is the starting point for human creation and that anything else is a deviation.  Race is treated like adding fruit squash to a glass of water, as soon as the first drop hits the water it becomes something else, no longer pure water.  In fact that is not how it works at all.  We don’t start as anything, white, black or anything else.  We are all unique blends of our parents and that should be appreciated and respected in it’s own right.  I embrace both my cultures as much as possible and would never ignore or disregard part of my make-up.  It’s my belief that at some stage in human development there will be a time where there are no longer strict races, and all people will end up being mixed.  This will go a long way to stopping much of the violence across the world and creating an overall better harmony in society.

To me, being born with parents from different cultures was a blessing.  I gained two sets of beliefs, traditions, and experiences.  It is harder to be labeled and put in a box.  But the thing I love most about being mixed race is, in my opinion, the way in which you can interact with diverse groups of people, from all different races.  I don’t think it’s a coincidence that one group of my friends are predominantly white and another predominantly black yet I find it easy to fit into both.  That’s not to say that only mixed race people can socializes across cultures of course because that’s not true at all.  I just mean that having a racial/cultural bond with both groups, subconsciously perhaps, allows me to fit in without much difficulty, the same is true when meeting new people.  I would be interested to hear from different people to hear about there experiences.

I'd be really interested to hear what you think?

Please subscribe/follow my blog if you think I'm worth listening to... 

Signing off.
Hovis ‘The Best Of Both’

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for doing this blog. Really showed your personal perspective on being mix race. I definitely agree on the fruit squash euphemism. How white mixed with any thing else is not white anymore, tainted even.

    Did you see any of the BBC Mix Race Britain? well I did, and i thought it was cute-sey, fluffy take on some of the historic matters. The season ended trying to make the viewer feel warm inside, but it left me feeling hollow and yearning for real questions and real answers.

    I am mixed, black Nigerian mother and white British father. To me, I'm black when people ask me I say "I'm black". Though because my skin is not so dark and my hair (when i don't straighten it) is loosely coiled, I get people asking me: "are you only black?" or "are both your parent black?" Which pisses me off. I'm not trying to deny any part of my heritage, but that's just who I am. Black.

    I don't think people realise the difference between race and genetics. Yes my genetic heritage is from Britain and Africa, but my identity is black. Race is only but a social construction, but it is quite an important one, race can give you a sense of identity and culture.

    However I have to mildly disagree the point about somewhere in the near or far future race will be obsolete due to racial mixing. There will always be the idea of differences between the sense of identity, even when there is no true difference. There is no true difference between races currently, however the concept prevails. Also because black is consider widely undesirable by most other races, and Africa, though the people are amazing and terrain breath taking it is mostly portrayed (and is, in many respects) on the brink of destruction and helpless. Black might be the next endangered species lol

    I recently saw this film, one of the most well put together documentaries I have EVER seen. Whether you believe the subject of the documentary or not it is enlightening!! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ASrFufnMNDg
    I URGE EVERYONE TO WATCH IT.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "IF U TOUCH US, YOU BECOME US..." - Sista Souljah - A State of War (1990)

    ReplyDelete